How to Disable Automatic Update in Windows 10
Windows 10 has come with some boring changes. One of the stupid changes is related to Automatic Update. In Windows 10, you’re set to automatically install new updates. And you’ve no choice to change this settings. Because the change settings option is disable.
Disable Automatic Update
When you Disable Automatic Update?
- If your net bandwidth is limited
- If you don’t need windows updates at all
- If the updates cause activators not work in your PC
- In earlier versions of Windows (Windows 7, 8 or 8.1), you can manually configure the update settings. There were four settings:
- Install updates automatically
- Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
- Check for updates but let me choose . . .
- Never check for updates
In Windows 10, you don’t have any option to choose any of these settings. It’s simply disabled. You can’t use the drop down menu. Look at the image below:
But still you have a chance to configure Windows Update. And you’ve to enable this settings from Group Policy Editor. In this post, I’m gonna discuss about enabling/ disabling Automatic Update of Windows 10.
- Press Start+R > Type gpedit.msc > Press Enter.
- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings.
- Find Configure Automatic Updates (Press C to go there quickly).
- Choose Enable > There are 5 choices in the Options > Choose # 5 – Allow local admin to choose setting.
- Apply > OK.
Now your automatic update settings will be like this –
Have you noticed that the Never Check for Updates option is not available here? This option is vanished from this settings. Anyway, you can stop checking for updates completely.
Never Check for Updates
If you even don’t need to check for updates, then follow the steps below –
1. Run > gpedit.msc > Enter
2. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings
3. Double Click on Configure Automatic Updates
4. Choose Disabled > Apply > OK.
Now your update settings will be disabled again. But this time, you Windows will never check for any updates!